2021 Essay Contest for GDRHS Seniors
Presentation to the winners of the 2021 Essay Contest by:
– Louis DiMola, Chair, Old Groton Meeting House Preservation Fund
– Maria McCaffrey, Community Relations, Workers Credit Union
1st Place – $1500:
– Juliana Grant, pdf: “The Matriarch of Groton” – audio:
See Juliana Grant’s Prize Winning essay in the June 3rd edition of the Groton Herald. And, come see Juliana ring the Meeting House bell on July 4th!
Topic: What is the significance of the iconic Old Groton Meeting House to the identity of our town and why does this building deserve preservation for future generations?
Eligibility: Seniors at GDRHS and Senior level homeschoolers
Deadline: Submit your essay by April 19, 2021
Prizes: Winners will be announced on May 27, 2021, at Senior Awards Night
- $1500 – First Prize
- Ring the Meeting House bell on July 4th, 2021!
- Winning essay will be published in the Groton Herald!
- $1000 – Second Prize
- $500 – Third Prize
- An original essay in 500-700 words with body of text and citations in MLA formatting style.
- Send pdf file to email@example.com
Essays evaluated by points awarded, up to 100:
- Strong Thesis Statement: position on topic is clearly stated – 20 points
- Evidence and Arguments: builds case logically and clearly, holds reader’s attention – 30 points
- Conclusion: summarize thesis/position and its importance – 15 points
- Creativity: original ideas, shows imagination and strong voice – 20 points
- Writing Mechanics: proofread for grammar, sentence structure, spelling and punctuation – 15 points
- Deborah E. Johnson- Groton Herald Editor
- Jason Kauppi- Town Moderator
- Lynne Bover- Social Studies Department Chair, Acton Boxborough Junior High School (Retired)
- Timeline of the Meeting House (4 PDF files) by Michael Roberts
- History of the Meeting House by David Gordon and Laura Moore
- Essay about the Meeting House by Michael Roberts
- Document about important people associated with the Meeting House
- Document about Courts held in the Meeting House, late 18th Century
- Script for the “Declaring Independence” performance at the Meeting House – TBA
- Script for the “Patriot’s Path” performance at the Meeting House – 2019
- MA Historical Commission – https://mhc-macris.net/
- Video of Patriots Path – https://vimeo.com/330338888
- The mission of the Old Groton Meeting House Preservation Fund – oldgrotonmeetinghouse.org